Chapters

Rockland Maine….Egypt?

Adelaide Salad and Koala

We spent a couple weeks in Adelaide, Australia in January. Adelaide is a fun city and is worth visiting. When we told Aussies we were going there, they politely smirked and commented that it’s a small, rural city. After seeing it firsthand, this seemed silly to us, like saying Boston is more rural than New York City. 

The first place we stayed in was an apartment next to the owner’s house. She kindly hosted us for a homemade dinner our first night there. She made an Indian vegetable dal, basmati rice, and a salad. Shortly after starting to eat, she told us her little salad trick is to not put any oil on it, only lemon, so leftovers can last for days. A curious thing to tell guests for dinner! I felt obligated to leave leftovers even though I was starving. 

“I can keep this salad fresh for days since I don’t put oil on it.”
“I can keep this salad fresh for days since I don’t put oil on it.”

She was generous, though, about showing us some spots that only locals know about, including a secret koala sleeping spot.

Koala sleeping in a eucalyptus tree in Adelaide
Koala sleeping in a eucalyptus tree in Adelaide